05 June 2016

My world - Shunga Jung

Few months ago my brother raccomanded me a video from youtube. This video showed an asian boy, called Shunga Jung, playing the guitar, and he played it very well. I watched the video and I didn't search more of his videos.
Two months later I was surfing on YouTube when I saw a video of Shunga Jung, and this time the way he played made me get interested and I browsed more of his videos. He is special because of his technique: he plays at the same time the melody and the accompaniment, but he plays the melody exactly how it sound in the original song. This is a good example: 
 

(Jason Mraz has invited him to play with him in more that one concert because of this video)

He's really good as well as young! Well, this video is a little bit old, now he is 20. 
I have seen a lot of his covers, and one of my favourites is his cover of Beat it(Michael Jackson):

He does his own compositions as well as covers, he has five albums between covers, collaborations and compositions. 

Today, loooking for information, I have found his official website, and there, this:

Sungha Jung (Born South Korea on September 2, 1996)  
Hi, I'm Sungha Jung from South Korea.
My dream is to become a professional acoustic fingerstyle guitarist.

I had been watching my dad play the guitar for awhile before I finally jumped on it myself three years ago.

Currently, I am taking drum lessons and teaching myself fingerstyle guitar.
I used to not have tabs for the music that I played in my videos.
I just listen and pick them up directly from the sound source in videos available on the internet.
However, recently, I have started playing with original tabs whenever they are available to me by courtesy of the authors.
My old guitar is custom made by Selma to fit my body size, and on it, Thomas Leeb wrote "Keep on grooving to my friend."

As of Jan. 1st, 2009 Lakewood acts as sponsor for my guitar officially.
I'm very grateful to those prominent guitarists who have had a great influence on my guitar playing.
I'll continue to study them and learn more about interpretation of music and various playing techniques.
My daily practice routine lasts for one to two hours when school is open, but I play up to three hours a day during the school breaks.
It usually takes me two to three days to practice and videotape a new piece but sometimes up to a week for more difficult ones.

Last, but certainly not least, I can't thank Ulli Bogershausen enough for being my musical inspiration. 

 It is hard to believe that he plays the songs just listening the music! At least, he needs to know very well the chords, the harmonies and the guitar techniques. Anyway, he is an amazing guitar player.

I have tried to play some of his songs, and I'm proud because now I can play this: 

Feeling proud of playing a song that a little child plays is a rare feeling, I can guarantee it. And even more, because I can not play it as well as him, but I still feeling proud.

Now I am trying with another one, River flows in you, origally played by Yiruma with a piano and arranged by Shunga Jung.

No comments:

Post a Comment